History of First Baptist Church Ropesville
In the early 1900s, there was no Baptist church in Ropesville. People who wanted to attend a Baptist church had to travel to Slide or Lakeview. On April 10, 1921, fourteen people met and became the charter members of First Baptist Church, Ropesville, Texas. Those fourteen people were: O.A. Heath, H.H. Timmons, Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Evans, Burnice Evans, Mr. and Mrs. C. R. Teague, Weldon Teague, Wilsa Teague, Maggie Ater, Clara Branch, Ora Lee Dopson, Effie Dopson, and Nona Hand. In the beginning, the small group met in the school building. That building is no longer standing, but the area is now part of the school playground.
Initially, they held services on the second and fourth Sundays of the month. The Methodists had services on the first and third Sunday. Brother O.P. Morrison was called as the first pastor in 1921 at the salary of $25 per month. In 1923, Brother T.B. Sowell became the pastor. In 1924, Brother A. A. Brian became the pastor. He was also a teacher in the Ropesville School. During his tenure, the church began meeting in a one-room wooden structure lovingly called "the white church".
Property was purchased for a church in 1923. The first structure was built in an area where the present church parking lot is located. The first Sunday School was started in the church in 1925.
The first revival was held shortly after the church began in 1921 and nine people were baptized and four others joined the church by letter, during those services. The Baptist church was up and running and beginning to grow.
As the church continued to grow, more property was purchased and buildings were built. The church now owns an entire block with a three-bedroom parsonage and a wonderful church facility with a very adequate sanctuary and excellent Sunday School rooms.
The people saw a need in 1921; God honored their work; and today, the Lord continues to bless His children!